Friday, June 18, 2010

thankful thought


My thankful thought this week is modern medicine. Baby Tylenol. Prevacid so Max doesn't throw up every 3 minutes. Anti-Anxiety and Anti-Depressant drugs so I am semi-sane. EPIDURALS. I can't even fathom giving birth without an epidural. I am glad it is there for me to have the choice to chose it. Neosporin. Love Neosporin. X-Ray and Ultrasound, MRI adn CT. There are so many things you can see and diagnose while you are pregnant with the Ultrasound. I am so lucky I had such close access and was able to see my little guy almost every week. My Aunt Becky is really sick in the hospital right now and I have no doubt she wouldn't make it without the modern medicine and the advancements we have today. Chemo. It is a roughy, but better than nothing in most cases. I don't know that this counts as 'medicine', but Tampons! Good hell, I think a pad is bad, I can't even imagine what women had to do in earlier times. I think it should count as medicine, because, man, that could turn into a raging infection if you aren't careful, especially back in the day. Dirty rags, no really good cleaning supplies.... Laproscopic surgery. So much less evasive = faster healing. Anesthesia. I watched a thing on the History Channel about all the amputations that they preformed in the Civil War. Pretty much just gave you a shot of whiskey and took a rusty dull saw to your leg. Crazy. Anytime you get you leg cut off isn't really good, but it is much better with anesthesia I'm sure. All the myriad of blood tests that can be run to see if you have 'this' or 'that'. I am just so grateful that there are so many things that help make life easier and more pleasant and less painful for me and those around me and help 'catch' things before they get out of hand.

{I know this is supposed to be 'positive', but I am just going to mention right here that someone needs to come up with a better, less expensive way of doing a mammogram. Steel plates? Honestly. AND, I think they should give a mini epidural while doing cervical checks those last few weeks of pregnancy. Those damn things hurt worse than delivering. }

No comments: