Saturday, April 10, 2010

Lessons Learned

So I thought I'd share a few things that I have learned so far being a mom.

I'll start at the very begining: NO ONE told me about the 3, 10 second hard pushes every 2 minutes for 3 hours part of labor. Had to learn that one the hard way. Rubbish.

That being said, now that he is here, this is what I've gathered:

1. Don't underestimate burping. It is key. No burp = inevitable throw up/upset tummy/fussy. Don't stop burping till they burp.
2. Regardless of what the nurses at the hospital say, a warm bath every night really really helps them sleep.
3. I never realized how much a wet diaper can piss a kid off. They could be hysterical, and really, they just want their bum changed. Simple.
4. Some people say not to do this, but a warm bottle. Especially at night (after the warm bath). It is so much more relaxing and appealing to them and I think they eat better. It will suck I am sure when there is that time where I don't have access to warm water and he won't eat because he is used to it being warm, but for now, warm bottles he will have.
5. Always have a spare binki.
6. You always hear that new moms are tired. NO REALLY, you will be tired. Horibbly tired.
7. You do A LOT more laundry.
8. Some say to do on demand feeding, some stick to a schedule. My thing is if he is sleeping, for hell sakes let him sleep. If he is hungry, he will wake up. Don't be freaking messing with his sleep. I wouldn't want it, and neither does he.
9. He really responds to me talking to him. I felt like an idiot at first, but just do it, they like it.
10. I have yet to be peed on by him, and this is why: Keep your eye on the penis. If it starts sticking up, cover it up. I guess that could go for all men in general. But keep in mind, it is better to be peed on than thrown up on, and that I have had happen 30 million times.
11. I know this is very bad, very frowned upon, but tummy sleep (supervised, of course). He sleeps soooo much better on his tummy. (Don't freak out, this is only for small naps with an adult present during the day, never at night...)
12. And lastly, don't hesitate to ask for help. Really, take it from me, take all you can get so you don't end up in the loony bin! If someone offers, take the damn offer and run with it, run with it to your bed and sleep until they won't help anymore.

I dedicate this post to Amanda, my little 37 weeks prego friend. By no means am I am expert, but I thought I could share what has worked and not worked for me.

5 comments:

The Brooks Family said...

Sarah you crack me up! All is true. And here's another one I just learned - Never leave a child unsupervised with a pen. They'll scribble all over your couch!!

And who the hell said not to warm up the bottle!? It's a must. Throw it in the microwave, shake it up to clear the hot spots and you're good to go. Stai won't even take a cold bottle. (but maybe that's why they say don't do it!?)

The Hovers said...

Yeah it sucked last May when we were camping for a week with no electricity. Middle of the night feedings with a cold bottle... I didn't want to get up and turn on the burner to warm up water!! Go with a nice lukewarm and if you are going camping, do a transitional week before. That's my advice!

Spenny and Nellie Morris said...

Haha so true! You're so funny--I needed to read that today. So nice to be able to relate so well to someone! :)

Chotz said...

Hahaha! Ya! If the pee tail (that's what I call 'IT') starts sticking up, cover it quick!!! BAHAHAH Oh man you kill me.

Kev and Manda said...

As I was reading this I kinda thought it was directed to me. Then I got to the end where it was! Funny! Thanks!