Sunday, November 14, 2010

a little bit crazy, a little bit funny. . .

I debated whether or not I should share this or not - but I decided that it's just life, and it's my life right now. And there is some humor in it. I also think that there might be someone out there who needs to hear it. So, here it is:
I ended up in a psychiatric hospital last weekend (for the second time this year). I've dealt with depression for a long time (specifically from 7th grade, about October, when Shane Wilbur & friends took it upon themselves to torture me - calling me RuPaul, throwing things at me, spitting on me, etc). I have a strong family history of depression so I'm sure it would have come out eventually, but damn Shane egged it on. I started on some anti-depressants, missed a few months of school, and then functioned fairly normal for the rest of my school years. It came out a little again my senior year, but was nothing major (I thought it was then, but it really wasn't). After high school - shit hit the fan. I don't do well with change, and some serious change happened. Benj and I had broken up (after almost 2 years) and I was devestated, I moved away from home, to Cedar City of all places, to college, kind of on a whim, I wasn't doing Drill anymore so I wasn't exercising as much, etc. Next thing I knew I was super depressed and had gained 80 (yes EIGHTY) pounds. Obviously, that sucks, right? I was having some other symptoms and just feeling horrible in general but so much was going on I couldn't pin-point what was wrong. The next 4 years was spent pretty much crying & searching for answers. I had stopped my periods, my eyesight was shot, I gained all the weight, I had acne, I had a 'hump' on my back, my blood pressure was high, and I was seriously SOOOOOOOO tired. No really, it dominated my life. I remember telling my bishop once my schedule. I would get up and go to work, come home and be in bed for the night, without eating or anything, by 6. For like 3 years. At one point I had to arrange my work schedule so I could go home and sleep during the day. I did a sleep study and of course had sleep apnea and RLS, even possible narcolepsy. None of the treatments helped. At this point I was just feeling sad, down, discouraged. My self-esteem had taken a shot or two because I was semi-ok looking in high school and now I was a mess. I saw probably 3-4 therapists during that timeframe. At some point I was diagnosed with PCOS. Whatever.
Fast forward to 2007. Again with a lot of changes. I had gotten married, moved out, started school, quit work, etc. I should have seen it coming. Major breakdown. I got in with an APRN who said I might be bi-polar. She changed my meds and sent me on my way. I did ok for a few more years. When I say 'ok', I mean I'd have spouts of crying, anger, bad days. You know. Benj would tell you it wasn't 'ok' at all. Bless his heart. Then, I decided to get preg-o. Apparently, it sucks to be bi-polar and pregnant. I knew it would probably suck, but man. Anyway, my hormones went whack, again, and I could hardly function. The thought actually went through my mind "If I could only get to like 24 weeks, & off myself, the baby would probably survive," It was bad. My OB (love him!) made some medication adjustments and I felt ok-ish (well, better) until delivery.
Delivered. Blur of magnesium, sleep deprivation, new baby changes, NICU, hormone changes, etc. I was horrible. It was horrible. I had never felt so low. I never wanted to hurt Max, but I did have a lot of thoughts of him getting hurt (weird, I know). I also had thoughts of me getting hurt (popping my elbows out of joint, having my ankles cut with razor blades, etc) {haha - you feeling the crazy yet??}. Anyway, all I could do was cry and cry. I couldn't function, couldn't eat, couldn't do anything. Suicidal thoughts. I ended up in the ER and subsequently the U of U psych unit. I won't go into that, it was the worst night of my life. Ever.
So, since it is next to impossible to get into a psychiatrist, my sweet OB made some medication adjustments and I drifted thru the next few months. I was/am seeing a therapist. I don't think I realized it, but I was progressively getting worse. I started searching the web for suicide methods. I was interested in Carbon Monoxide poisoning, but after looking for a while got some better ideas. I won't get into that. I was fairly open about it; Benj knew I had been thinking about it, my sister did too. Blah blah blah, ended up in Highland Ridge Hospital.
This is where some humor comes in. Aside from the actualy facility being really bad (staff, treatment, etc, which I wrote a letter about and sent to my insurance, the hospital, and going to send to the BBB), being there was somewhat entertaining. I don't wanna brag, but I was better off than a lot of those people! Hehe. Let me just name a few. There was Mildred; schitzo. She wore a long, to the floor, puffy coat every day and carried all her clothes around. Any time anyone would go into a room, she would follow and pound on the door (which was actually quite disturbing). Apparently, she was bi-sexual. One day she was in the day room, dancing, singing 'I swing both ways!' and she would always ask her poor roomate to leave the bathroom door open when she showered. She often had her shirt up showing her belly. She was probably 60+. There were a lot of Vetrans there, not sure if she was one. She thought that we were all 'undercover' and spying on her. It was kind of sad, the other patients would totally mess with her. Another girl was bi-polar, but no really. She was only 18. She was also a cutter, so her arms and wrists were all bandaged up. It was weird, she would be super happy and hyper and dancing and singing and the next minute screaming, dropping F bombs, scratching herself. Amusing. Most people there came from hospitals from suicide attempts. There were about 5 older gentlemen who were Vets. I felt so bad for them. Everyone smoked like a freaking chimney. We weren't allowed to have really anything, had to ask for shampoo and conditioner (they kept them locked up because they have alcohol in them...). I thought that was semi-dumb because there were pens and pencils all over the place: I'd just as soon stab myself in the neck with a pen than drink conditioner. I'm just sayin.
Funnies:
-My mom & dad visiting and quoting "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" and laughing at themselves
-Sitting next to a guy in the lunchroom and him turning to me and saying, "So, what are you in here for?"
-There was a substance abuse side and a mental health side. We made fun of the other side saying they are just having a '3 day crazy' while they detox - we are ALWAYS crazy!
-The indian (Native American) tech that we called Running Bear because no one knew his name. My roomate was a huge ditz (-slash- detoxing from an overdose on Klopopin) thought that was his real name. She would always be like "Hey, is it 'Running Water'? I don't want to offend him!"
-One night when family came to visit, we got one kid to really act 'crazy' and be all awkward with someones dad - rubbing his arm, trying to lick him, etc.
-It's not really funny, but if you were feeling like it, you could ask for a 'cocktail' of sorts and a nurse would come give you a shot in the butt. I don't know what these consisted of, but it sure as hell made some people pret-ty happy.
-We had "recreational therapy" where everyone would go outside and smoke. If you tried to walk away from the group, a security gaurd would fire a warning shot from the outskirts of the fence telling you to get back with the group. No, just kidding. But really, you couldn't 'stray' off.
Anyway, I could go on for a long time here. But let me just say a few things on a serious note. I know depression is a crock of shit to some people. I know most people think suicide is selfish. I wish so much that I could convey to those people how it feels. You are so totally consumed with overwhelming sadness and dispair you can hardly think enough to get yourself up out of bed, let alone think of others. Depression is a selfish thing; it can be. But don't blame. It is so frustrating when people say, "Cheer up, try to be positive," Try to be positive? I am just trying to keep my head above water here. Or "Buck up, it's not a big deal," Makes me feel guilty because I can't seem to 'buck up' and it IS a HUGE deal to me. It is my life, and it freaking sucks right now. They gave us a worksheet to fill out. There were a bunch of questions that I flat out could not answer: "I like myself because..." "My favorite place is..." "... loves me" "What I really enjoy most is..." "The one person that always makes me feel good about myself is..." ETC. I don't want a pity party, I am just showing you how I think and how it feels to honestly not feel like I can answer those questions. I constantly feel guilty, inadequate, ugly, tired. I panic a lot knowing that Max isn't getting the best me that he deserves and I hope it doesn't ruin or stunt his growth in any way. Benj deserves someone so fun and happy and loving. I could go on and on. Regarding suicide. I am aware that most feel it is a cop-out, selfish to everyone around them, & that they aren't thinking about anyone but themselves. Normally I'd agree. Having been there, I'll say this. I felt that at the point I was at, both Max and Benj would have been better off without me. I wasn't functioning or contributing to them or our family. I knew Benj would re-marry and Max would have a good mom. We have fantastic family all around us and they would both be very loved. I knew it might hurt for a while, but over time and in the long run, we would all be better off. I honestly, in my heart of hearts, thought that. I had become such a burden, meds weren't helping, therapy wasn't helping, I didn't see any other way. Anyway, I'm just trying to say, don't be the judge, let God be.
Whew. Long one. This definately isn't over, I only got released from the Hospital on Monday (but I am feeling much better, thank you). I am thinking of making a blog or making a page on this blog dedicated to information on & my experiences with depression, etc, in hopes that maybe I could help someone, or at the very least, entertain people. Would anyone be interested?
Also - thanks to BENJ for being soooooo incredibly patient and loyal. I love him and Max to death.
Photobucket

15 comments:

Mac and Nano said...

SARAH,
Thankyou for being real and honest you will probably never know completly how many people you will help with that sincerity. I would be really interested in that blog dedicated to your experiences please do that, not for entertainment but for the strength your example will bring. Thankyou for writing this you probably have no idea what strength shines through your words but I am proud of you for continueing the fight against depression...cause thats truley what it is. I have no doubt you will win it dont give up ever! -sincerly your friend from back when ...who seriously is so grateful for facebook so that she can keep in touch with you- Janelle

Miss Megan said...

Dear Sarah-

I hope it's OK I read your blog. You know I love following you on Facebook. You always keep it real, and that is one of the things I admire the most about you.

I understand about the depression. I have a family history of anxiety/depression and after I had Peter I really went off the deep end. It took my a while to own up to the fact that I couldn't pull myself up by my bootstraps any longer and I needed to get some help (I currently take anti-depressants, and I have done some therapy in the past - although I would like to start going back).

I had no idea you were struggling with any of this, but that is what depression does. It isolates people and makes them feel that they are alone in the world. You're not. Just know that there are people here who would rather you cry on their shoulder, than do something to hurt yourself.

I also suffer from PCOS. It's a battle in and of itself. Currently I am between doctors, going on 4 months of having a straight period and hormonal as hell. Yup, 4 months of being on the rag and raging hormones ripping through my body - and that's just the start of it. I understand where you are coming from about the low self-esteem, weight gain, etc.

Unfortunately, there is no magical answer, or miracle wand I can wave to fix all of this. Just know I admire your courage and bravery and I will be cheering on your recovery. Seriously - don't hesitate if you ever need anything. Love you girl!

Megan xoxo

Kev and Manda said...

I almost cried reading this... and I already knew all of it.

Kev and Manda said...

I almost cried reading this... and I already knew all of it.

DigandStacee said...

Sarah, I know that we were never really friends in school but I can relate to you on some things I totally know how Shane W. was in school. He caused me complete hell also, calling me fat, ugly etc. But if you look at him now. You will see that you are a million times better than he will ever be. If you need anything like a person to talk to or a walk around the park just to get out. Or to look at the idiot with the Christmas tree up all year, Just let me know!

The Simmons' said...

Sarah,
I love reading your blog!! Hope my blogstalking is allowed. I think that you are absolutely hilarious! I guess you never really know what other people are dealing with. I don't have any grand advice, but I think that you are beautiful and have actually had conversations with other people in the past who have said how genuinely pretty you are. Being a mom is a roller coaster and that coupled with any chemical imbalances, I can only imagine would being terrible. Keep writing, it will be a strength not only to you, but others as well. Don't give up! No one will be a better wife or mother than you!!!
PS I know that Cedar City can cause anyone to put on some serious freshman lbs (I swear it is in the water!)

The Hovers said...

Good one. I think it's a great idea to have a separate blog or page on just your "recovery" or fight against depression. So many people can relate. Wish I could also take it all away for you!!

KoOie said...

Sarah, bless your lil heart!! I just love you, and it makes my heart hurt that your dealing with all that crap! Thank you for being strong and sharing your experiences. For a long time I didnt know depression was legit, but I know now that its very serious. Girl, you are amazing and if anything remember you are a literal daughter of God! Made in his image with blessings waiting for you on high. Not to be preachy but when I get down on myself I have to think about that and it helps make me feel like royalty ;) Love you!!

Elise said...

hey roo, just got done reading your story. I have tears streaming down my face. I can't even imagine what you have been through and I know there is really nothing much I can do but, I want you to know that the sarah I know and that you must not always see is so beautiful. I remember all through jr.high and high school wishing I could be as fun and funny as you are. You were always the one that everyone wanted around. You could always make us laugh and make things more exciting. We don't get together much now but, you never forget friendships like we all had. I hope you know how many people love you. I hope things will get so much better for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I think you one day when all of this is behind you.you should seriously write a book and you should be a motivational speaker you are an amazing writer and funnier then heck! I love you to death. So glad you are doing better right now.if there its ever anything I can do please let me know. Love ya always, elise

The Brooks Family said...

Love you Sarah. I've talked with Em a bit about what you're going thru and I think you are awesome for posting it.. It always helps others to see what someone else is going through. I wish you luck and if there is anything I can do to help I'm here. Kinda feel a little "big sistery' toward ya! PS. kinda want to cut Max's hair.

Chotz said...

I'm so sorry you have to deal with such a hard trial Sarah! I hope they can get you something that helps or find a cure soon!!!! If you need a night out with Benji I would LOVE to watch your little guy for you. :) Please let me know if I can help you in any way. Seriously.

Kyle and Shanalee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kyle and Shanalee said...

I don't remember you from high school, but I've been blog stalking you for a while now. I just sent you a fb request, I hope you want to be my friend :) Good luck with everything, you are not alone. ((hugs))

Katy said...

Sarah,
I do not know you and I don't want to say I know how you feel because i know that is so cliche to someone with depression...but sister, i know how you feel.
I was diagnosed with major depression in Jr high. I was bullied because i was over weight which led me to bulimia. I made it through high school ok-ish. with only a few suicidal thoughts here and there. In 2006 i moved to utah to go to BYU (im suprised benji even talks to me) :O) During the week of finals in my first semester i ended up in UVRMC psych unit. i had to drop out of college. My life is not what i had planned it to be. Since 2006 I have been in the psych hospital to many times to count. probably about 20 times. Last year things got so bad they gave me about 6 sessions of shock treatment (dont do it) Long long story short. I know how you feel wanting to kill yourself sometimes and the thoughts you have behind it. People will be better without you, bla bla bla...its all a lie. People would be devestated without you. Even i would be sad because your blog is so entertaining and i know for a fact benji loves you tons!! Ive been to that low low of looking up ways to kill myself on line. Ive tried to kill myself and have failed and i am glad. I think that there is a stigma about people who are depressed that they are crazy or probably have done drugs are they probably have a messed up childhood. I would always feel so out of place at groups in the hospital when people would tell their stories about why they had depression..this person raped them or they were beaten or something and i was like...uh...i don't know...my life is good. i just want to die.
Depression is so stupid and i hate it and it is soooooo hard to understand if you have never had it..and its even hard to understand if you have.
I admire you for not giving up. It probably doesn't even matter to you that i say this because i know when i was at my lows i didn't care what anyone said ...but things will get better. I promise! It took 10 years to figure out what was wrong with me and it has been 1 year since i have been in the hospital. 6 months since i have thought about killing myself. That doesnt seem long but for someone who thought about it every day for years it is a life time. Stick with it girl! i know you can do it! You have benji and he is such a great support system. YOu are lucky to have him. I hope you don't think im weird for sharing all this with you i just want you to know you are not alone! and youre not crazy...and you are totaly right about the damn public bathroom doors that open in...i hate those!!! you have to like strattle the freaking toilet to get out! KATY
p.s. im the girl who talked to you about dr. materlo at the blood drive today....can i just say one more time i hate her?

Katy said...

My roomate has pcos. she sees a lady doctor by the name of esme in orem at athenas womans clinic. she has really really helped her. she has lost like 80 pounds and i see her eat cheesecake all the time hahaha. I have seen the doctor once and she seems to know what she is doing. I think she specialized in hormones and stuff like that. If you want her number let me know.